Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Fall stitching....there's just something about it.  The coolness of the air, the beautiful Autumn colors...bittersweet, olive, gold and brandy.  It's always so exciting to make a new start. This is what will be in my stitching hands today. I can't wait to see how this takes shape.  I love the linen, which is Lakeside Lentil and I'm pretty thrilled with my color pallet too.  There may be a change here or there, usually is, but this looks to be a good starting point.

I've been taking it pretty easy lately and I have to admit I've really been enjoying my down time.  I've been playing in the studio and getting ready for the next Primitive Handmades Merc. update, which will be on the evening of the 17th.  I've really had fun and have quite a few things to list....
But, I've also taken up learning to do punch needle. I have to say it was quite frustrating a first, but once I asked lots of questions of those in the know and kept at it, it's turned into something I really enjoy.  I can see myself having a punch project going at all times.  It's a nice change, very different from cross stitch and goes pretty quickly.
For my first try, I decided to just draw out a simple design.  A Prim flower with a few tongues surrounding it seemed easy enough. Here's my piece in progress.
I wasn't loving the bald spots, which you can't seem to see in the picture, but I kept going and after it was done and stained with a walnut staining solution, it looked much better.  The liquid made the fiber mesh together and hide the spots.  I backed it will overdyed wool and stuffed it.  Now it resides in my bowl of smalls and I'm pretty proud:)

Well, I'd better get stitching...I'll be back soon to show you the pretties I've made for my PHM update.
Enjoy your week and as always, Happy Stitching my friends!
Smiles, ~Nan 

7 comments:

Vicki Jo said...

I love your bowl of smalls! Your first punch needle project is beautiful. I hope I get a chance to learn how to do that. Thanks for sharing with us!

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous looking basket of smalls you have, Nan! Congratulations on your first punch needle finish! Looking forward to seeing what you have designed for the lentil fabric and shown fibers.

Robin in Virginia

Ele said...

Love your bowl of smalls, and the threads and linen you have selected. Look forward to see what will appear when you work your magic!

denise said...

:)

Natasha said...

great color scape. I love fall also pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, pumpkin roll LOL I love pumpkin I guess

Brenda A said...

I love the color palette of those Sampler threads!! There is something extra special about Fall colors.

msmartello said...

You did a great job on your first punch needle project. I am impressed. I tried my hand at rug hooking and that is fun also. Now I want to try the oxford punch needle that Primitive Betty is doing. I must be crazy!!